Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Circuitous Route of Social Network Linking

Am experimenting with forwarding my status updates and posts on Social Networks. What I really want is to post once and it gets published in a lot of other places. 

I tried it first with Plurk. I set up Plurk to send the post to Twitter as a tweet and to update the Facebook status.  This works fine. But it does not extend itself that far. For what it's worth, I've been using WAP to send to Plurk, to post to Twitter tweets, because I can't send tweets directly from my phone.  Yup, I send tweets from my phone.  In the roundabout way I've just described.  The way things are, that's going to be the way it's going to be.

I also use HootSuite to view and post tweets as well as view feeds from Facebook. 

Now, I am experimenting with Ping.fm. Several advantages:
1. I can use WAP to send to Ping.fm. As long as I have a cell phone signal, I can post.
2. it can connect to 36 social network sites (of which I've activated 10 of them (gtalk status, yahoo profile, multiply, hi-5, blogger, twitter, facebook, linkedin, myspace and plurk).

A brief note: as part of my job, I need to register to a lot of websites. I have a list of more than a thousand websites and this list is going to get much longer.

3. Anent to the above, if I register to a new social network site, hopefully, I can add this to Ping.fm and update from there.
4. I have the option to use Hootsuite to post to Ping.fm.  I have Hootsuite.com up on the browser about half the time I'm on the computer, and that's a lot longer than I stay on Meebo, YM or Skype.

Disadvantages:
1. I still have to check which accounts get updated, and if it's tagged as a status or as a blog post.
2. Plurk is not cooperating. Or is behaving in a weird manner. I've disabled Twitter and Facebook forwarding on Plurk. It worked part-way. The status updates, tweets and posts don't go to Twitter, but they still go to Facebook. This will take some more tweaking before I get it right.
3. I can use WAP to send to Ping.fm. As long as I have a cell phone signal, I can post. (this could be addictive)

Another brief note: I know I have accounts with Flickr, AIM, WordPress, Delicious, Diigo, Vox, TypePad, PhotoBucket and Yahoo Meme, but I'm still thinking of reasons to connect these to Ping.fm.

--Andoy
11 February 2010

allvoices

No comments: