Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Earthquakes and Storms

There was an earthquake the other night. Actually, it was already past midnight. It was enough to get me out of bed. It was a good several seconds long, which also had a second wave. It was not too concerned for my safety. I was home, there's a roof over my head. I was awake and the roof didn't cave in. I knew I was okay.

Immediately after the earthquake, I sent text messages to family and friends. For me it was normal. I had just conveniently forgotten that majority of the people I sent text messages to were asleep at that time and most probably didn't feel the earthquake. After I had settled down a bit, I was happy to note that there were several answers which came in via text messages. Seems everyone was safe, and that made me feel safe, and great.

What worried me was the following day's events. Specifically during the afternoon when there was news of another earthquake, this time a bit farther south. Come to think of it, this was the first time I ever heard that there was an earthquake in that area.

But on top of the second earthquake, there was also concern about a typhoon coming into the country. A quick online search for weather maps and there it was, a typhoon with enough cloud cover to blanket the upper half of the country. The clincher was that there's another typhoon following it. It is not hard to imagine that the second storm will follow the same path as the first.

As far as I am concerned, as long as these natural phenomena DO NOT happen all at once, as long as these events take a number, and bide their time happening, the country and everyone in it can cope.

Twenty typhoons a year, that's normal. Even with three of these within the Philippine Area of Responsibility, as long as these don't make landfall all at the same time, that will be okay and everything that such a calamity will bring will be taken cared of.

Earthquakes? Keep them at Intensity 6 and no higher, even if it was on an almost daily basis, everything will be fine. A strong one every 20 years? That's about it, with no strong earthquake occurring more often than that.

As long as an earthquake doesn't happen during a typhoon, everything will be fine.

allvoices

No comments: