Monday, July 04, 2005

Old Body

Since we moved to the new apartment, I've been playing basketball with Kenneth on an almost regular basis.  We wake up, or rather my wife wakes us up, at 5:00am, dress up, go across the street to the (covered) basketball court.  We do some stretching.  I sometimes jog around the court to warm up, and we shoot some hoops.  And we go back home by 6:00am.  Normally, we're the only ones using the court at that time.  We played one-on-one the first time we played on the court.  I was in no shape to speak of, whatsoever.  Got myself panting and gasping for air.  I guess I'm in better shape now after almost two months.  But I need to be playing him one-on-one again soon, because if I defer it, he'd be taller than me without anyone noticing.

Played Saturday morning and then again Sunday morning.  Saturday morning, I over extended myself and was several heartbeats away from collapsing.  We had no water bottles with us, so we had to go back home.  Anyway, it was already 6:00am, so it was just in time.

Not being much of a basketball player (I can't even do a decent layup) I give Kenneth drills instead:  "give and go", "pick and roll", shooting drills (free throws, three-pointers, side of the key, quarter-court), kick-out and screens.  Nothing special, just drills he wouldn't be doing if he were just playing three-on-three half-court pickup games.

And now, it's a Monday, and my body hurts.

--andoy
4 July 2005

allvoices

2 comments:

Cielo said...

I have another suggestion for a drill -- which I do when I can't play with my boys on half-court: my Dad calls it "Around the World".

For two-pointers, you start at the left side of the hoop within the "shooting or free-throw zone". Follow the marks along the sides. You can't proceed to the next mark until you've shot the ball. You carry on 'til you reach the "free throw line", on which you do two throws, then step back to the edge of the "circle", two throws again. Carry on with the rest of the markers until you reach the right side of the hoop. Then you do the drill all over again -- from right, to the left.

Three-pointers follow the same principle, except that, as the score implies, you do this around the three-pointer line. It's tougher and you'll have to use much knee and upper arm power. My Dad's excellent at that three-pointer. It's a good workout for the arms too.

Andoy Castellano said...

We do something similar to the latter drill. But instead of shooting till you score, we do a quick-release type, where after shooting the ball on any of the 5 pre-designated areas around the three-point arc, he moves to the next spot. I rebound and throw immediately to him and he shots. This is more tiring than set shots from the arc.

Other drills are also like the above, where we set two positions, both sides of the free-throw line, and I rebound, he shoots. We do it 20 shoots total, 10 to each side. He shoots, I rebound, he moves to opposite side, and shoots again. This is a relatively fast drill, which we finish in about 2 to 3 minutes.

Another drill is shooting from under the basket. Shooting lefthanded on the left hand side, rebound, go to the right hand side and shoot with the right hand, rebound and go to the opposite side. Doing this fast for about a minute. Very tiring.

We'll try the drills you suggested. I need to have the second ball properly inflated so we can practice with two balls.

--andoy