Friday, July 08, 2005

tartanpodcast

I just started listening to podcasts and one of the first channels I listened to is tartanpodcast which is a podcast from Glasgow, Scotland. I've always enjoyed listening to Scot brogue accents.

I once had a chat with a scot -- at a wake, for crying out loud -- and he did mention that there are differences in accents and that this is so pronounced that it is possible to situate where you are from the accent. It does change from town to town. And is so different sometime that it is possible to live in one town and almost not understand people living in the next town. Imagine this in a country of 5 million people. Contrast this with the Philippines with 83 million, 8 million of which live in Metro Manila.

The podcast I listened to was #15. It included "Twisted Melons" and some other bands. But really, the main reason I wanted to check this out is the accent. Great accent! Here in the Philippines, there is a current impetus to use "American English" and the DJ's brogue is totally different. I worked on a call center before and every so often we had callers from Scotland, and some callers do have very thick accents. I've been entranced with the scottish brogue since I first noticed the difference between American and British accents. And whenever we see a movie with scottish characters, it's fun to emulate them. Well as best I can, along with my son and daughter. I once read some chapters of "Harry Potter" to them in as best an imitation that I can. We were particularly enamored with the Hagrid-type accent. And it would be fair to note that in the movies, the Weasley family talk in different accents. The only accents which are alike are the twins (logically so I would think.)

Even before podcasting, I've been trying to get an internet radio broadcast from Scotland, with no success. The closest I can get are the gaellic mp3's from Ireland. hahaha

Maybe if I can have my own website, I'd try podcasting myself. I would think that I can do this around one hour a day, max. Plus processing and uploading, this could easily translate to about four hours of work. Anyway, that would be something to look forward to, more as an activity for me and the kids.

--andoy
8 July 2005

allvoices

No comments: