Monday, March 17, 2008

A Rant: Globe's Patchy Service

I cannot take it any more.  This is a rant.

For the past few days, I have been having problems with Globe Telecom's SMS service.  Admittedly, I am one of millions of Globe Pre-paid phone subscribers who use the UNLITXT service.  For me, it is less a matter of the all-day unlimited texting, but more about not worrying of the cost per SMS message sent.  I subscribe so that I don't worry about the cost, even if it might be more expensive that way.  I send the registration, a confirmation is sent back to me informing me of the service start and for how long, and I use the service.  Five days worry free for me.  Worry free that is, until the that point where suddenly the service stops for one reason or another, or a message note appears as "message not sent."  This is ridiculous.  No network advisory beforehand, just the "message not sent" warning after you try to send a message. 

Me, I'm a casual user.  No problem.  But I do know of a whole barangay of dried fish vendors who are dependent on SMS for sales to their middlemen.  They receive the message, the dried fish gets packed and sent by bus, and the transaction gets paid by GCash.  And a day without a text message is a day without sales or collection.  Walang kita!  The vendors would be dependent on the roadside buyers.  Imagine a thousand peso transaction per text message.  These people earn more from their deliveries.  That is how powerful text messaging has become.  Patchy service is not acceptable.

End of rant.


--andoy
17 March 2008

allvoices

No comments: