Monday, June 16, 2008

The One Ring

After more than five years of telling myself that I will have my ring fixed, I finally did.  I had the ring cut and taken off my finger.

I have only one ring, the only piece of jewelry I wear, and that's my wedding band.  It's just there on my right ring finger.  Sitting at the base, like a good ring should be.  Unobtrusive.  Sometimes I twirl it around the finger.  Otherwise, it is not noticeable.  Except for the slight pain as it presses on the muscle.  

After the ring was cut and taken off, I found out that it was two (ring sizes) too small.  I have not taken it off for more than eight years.  Or ten.  I'm not sure.  But I remember that it had been pressing painfully against my finger for a long long while.  It might have started pressing on the muscle around the time I stopped taking it off.  Which was around the time I gained 10 pounds in a month.  And then added another 10 pounds, also in a month, five or so years later.  I weighed about 115-120 pounds when I got married.  I'm now at 140 (hovering between 136 to 145).

Every so often these past few days, I still feel round my right ring finger, as if turning a ring round the base of the it.  I feel the scar there.  It should clear up soon.  And the finger is getting some width (and muscle) back.  There is still the slight pain.  And if I press on the scar, it is still a bit tender.

I am told that this would be temporary, and the pain would go away in a month.  I hope so.  But I guess the scar would be there for a while.

-- Andoy
16 June 2008


allvoices

No comments: