Thursday, July 22, 2004

internet chess

July 22 Manila



I joined IECG (http://www.iecg.org) about 2 years ago. It's been almost an obsession since. The above GIF file was one of my first games. I made 2 mistakes early on losing 2 pawns. My opponent resigned after a protracted struggle where I lost any semblance of a pawn structure.

After more than 100 finished games in 2 years, I think I'm getting the hang of email and server chess. It is tough, I admit. But fun nonetheless. This is my only vice nowadays. A diversion from the "realities" of my work. In fact, it is more real to me than my work.

Although I have a 50% win-loss record, I have been able to experiment somewhat with the openings. There are several tournaments where I try a specific opening for Black and for White. I am only now understanding some of the theory behind the openings, but I am not yet at the level where I can stir strategy, unless the strategy presents itself. There are several players where I have played against several times but never won. And, of course, there are others who have not won against me. I rather like those others with whom I have an even win-loss record.

The players on the IECG have proven to be the same with players over the board, they don't talk much. But then again, that is what chess has always been about. A mental game which demands focus and concentration. Without focus and concentration, I have lost knights on several games.

Spassky was quoted to have said, "Chess is like life." And Fischer was supposed to have retorted that, "Chess is Life."

--andoy



allvoices

1 comment:

Edwin Arceo said...

Internet Chess...Hmm. That's interesting. I should try it sometime. I remember once that I taught a friend how to play achess and he wound up always beating me.

Edwin