Tuesday, July 27, 2004

...some days are like these

Just another day off, I imagine. Today and tomorrow. I took the time to read some blog posts of a friend of mine, Cielo a.k.a. "Sheila." And her posts were full of angst and the feeling of a girl lost in the woods. It was very personal -- she was getting a grip of her job and her co-workers (including myself). Unfortunately, there was no one to talk to and a blog is a poor substitute indeed for a friend who can listen and give understanding. If only she was 20-years old and in UPLB at the same time I was, I think I could have been someone she might have taken the time to talk to. (However, I could not say the same for me being a 20-year old in these days and times. I could not imagine myself being 20 in 2004! My personality when I was 20 would not fit in 2004. Or anytime after 1990!)

There really are days like these when you want to talk to someone, and there's nobody around. Not your wife, your kids, your brothers or sisters. Just someone who will listen and understand. I still get days like those.

Nowadays, nobody talks in the same manner that we did twenty-plus years ago. The kids nowadays talk about computer games, or about gimmicks. They meet in their cars, go to a gas station and drink beer in their cars. Or they go to a gimmick place with tables under the open sky and nurse a single bottle of beer. Just to be there and be seen, I guess. Not to talk, but to smile at that girl, or boy, giggle and laugh as if drunk.

No talk about the senselessness of existence. Or about existence. Or about bull-s**t regarding the girls they've known. The talk nowadays are chats abbreviated to smilies and emoticons. No meaning, no pretense to meaning, just being there and being cute and being nothing.

- = o 0 o = -


There are days I just read or I want to write. Anything or nothing in particular. Something which frustrates me for instance. Or a no-brainer. Or worse, an extrapolation of events.

It is quite easy to "predict" some events, if you know what you are trying to read or "throw" into the future. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's campaign for the Presidency of the Republic of the Philippines. That she said she would not run, and then less than a year later, committed to running in the election. That was a no-brainer. Although I did not believe that she would, my father predicted that. That Fernando Poe, Jr. would also run for the election was not unexpected. A former campaigner and bagman for House Speaker Jose de Venecia predicted that almost two years before it happened.

One future which should have been predictable was Call Centers of off-shore phone support. Ten years ago, I would not have imagined that there would be a boom for this business. But re-reading Alvin Toffler's "The Third Wave" made me realize that this was the sort of thing along the lines he was alluding to. That Call Centers would be farmed out, to homes, I never imagined is possible (what with QA, communication facilities and training concerns). However, there are now some job ads exactly for at-home call center businesses. Weird! What's weird about this is that the job even pays more than the commuting type of call center support job.

- = o 0 o = -

These days I need to write. That is in order for me to learn to express myself all over again. My writing skills have deteriorated. I need to keep on writing. I need to keep on taking pictures. I need to keep on learning how to use the computer. I need to learn how to use the camera. I'll be posting some pictures here soon. Some old, some new.

--andoy--
July 27, 2004

Boracay, February 2000 Posted by Hello


Boracay sunset Posted by Hello


early morning rainbow over Boracay  Posted by Hello



allvoices

No comments: