Monday, August 23, 2004

Denim Bags

My daughter DArwi had a school project last year. It was to sew a bag out of plastic tetra-packs. It was okay and run of the mill. Teaches kids the value of recycling.

This year, after the teacher noticed that the kids never used their tetra-pack bags, she decided that the school project would be a denim bag, made from an old (discarded) pair of denim jeans. (Funny, but isn't that the type of pair of denim jeans you wouldn't want to throw away?)

She created the denim bag on her own. Cheating somewhat in the design and implementation portion of the project as she just cut off the legs, sewed them shut, and then added a zipper at the waist. It was almost finished when she showed it to me, lacking only the zipper and a handle. And then I showed her several denim bags I created and used several years ago, including one which was a full-sized knap-sack. That was cool. It even had a drawstring top and cover instead of a zipper.

I just hope she enjoys using the bag she made as much as I enjoyed using the bags I made. Twenty-year old bags and still being used. Ha!

--andoy


allvoices

No comments: