Tuesday, May 03, 2005

French Songs

I've been listening to some french songs lately. I have no idea what the lyrics mean. It's almost very different. Though there are still fragments of the New Wave style with the contemporary pop singers, the ballads are very distinct in style. Very french "chanson." Some of the slow "chanson" style songs are by Benabar, Charles Aznavour, and Carla Bruni (I can't remember the other singers). The pop/rock songs are by Mylene Farmer, Keren Ann, Alizee and Anggun, among others.

For the slow songs, the style is distinct and harkens back to Edith Piaf and Maurice Chevalier. Though the newer slow songs are sung almost in the same manner as Piaf. There is a clear distinction: whereas the older songs were "naughtily sexy" the newer songs are brazenly about sex. (At least as far as I understand the lyrics and the style.)

I have no intention of learning french if only because I want to understand the songs. Although that would be a good reason to study french. Or even to begin studying french. [I remember a friend of mine who started to study french because he found a book by Marquis the Sade in the UPLB library. Although it was in english, there were several passages in french which he went to the trouble of translating on his own.]

Another difference between the french and the rest of the world: a lot of the french female artists have nude photos or topless photos. Carla Bruni was a former super model before concentrating on being a singer. She has lots of nude studio photos. Another sexy singer is Alizee.

A friend of mine once noted that there was a real difference in comparing the french women or girls and the rest of the world. My friend studied at the International School (Makati) and he noted that though the french students may not be the prettiest around, you would know their being french by the aura they exude. It seems that the french "breed" this x-factor or sex appeal, and that the rest of the world is just left in the dust over-powered.

In hindsight, I have taken a stand that this might not be true. It is possible that growing up in France or having a french environment, might contribute a lot to this. The X-factor, or sex appeal, or confidence is just there because of the french environment.

I doubt if I will ever really know.

--andoy
3 May 2005

allvoices

1 comment:

Cielo said...

"I doubt if I will ever really know."

Have you had any answer to that query? Hehehe.