Sunday, February 13, 2005

That Was The Week That Was

Week before last, my wife had the flu. Although her symptoms did not really develop into a "full-fledged" flu, as her body temperature was on a roller-coaster ride, going up and feverish during the evening, and then becoming normal afterwards. I had been asking her to go to the doctor since day one, however, as she usually does, she didn't want to go for a check-up. Knowing her, once she really could not take it any longer she'd be the one who be asking me to take her to the doctor.

Saturday last week, while I was doing some overtime work at the office, my wife called and I had to rush home so that we can get to the doctor before the clinic closes. After an initial exam, she had a chest x-ray, and further examination of the results. Turns out that besides the sore throat, fever, phlegm, and elevated blood pressure, she also had an enlarged heart. The doctor gave a prescription for fever, phlegm, coughing, antibiotics, hypertension, and some heart medication. After a follow-up check-up last Tuesday, she was also given a new prescription for other medications. Hopefully, by the time of the third checkup in two weeks, we'll see an improvement regarding her enlarged heart.

All in all not a good week.

The project consultant we had was not able to submit a framework/architecture for some modules. I need to be following that up with him.

A server we were trying to configure last Friday did not want to cooperate. First we needed to find a second hard disk. The hard disk we were supposed to use was a SATA disk. Turned out we did not have any SATA cables. We cannibalized a PC from the other office for a temporary hard disk. To download the files, I needed to have this connected as a slave drive in another computer. That being done, turns out that the machine I needed to use this for had a problem with the motherboard. Back to square one, we went to another machine, and this time, the installation disk for Linux was not working. After lunch we tried to download a copy of Linux installation, after 2 hours, we were able to download the first disk (E1 connection). Copying this to a CD, the first time had some errors on the CD. Tried another copy, and this time, the installation still gave an error message. Gave up after that, and will try again on Monday.

The mini-project I was involved in also almost did not meet the requirements. We did get a reprieve. Something like a basketball game on extra time. We do get to have it uploaded to the production server and running three clients by next week.

I was supposed to go to the GA of Pinoy Poets. But I left the office past 7:00pm and I rode with an officemate. However, due to the Makati traffic another officemate instead sent us a text message inviting us to have some pizza and a drink just so we can wait out the heavy traffic. We left Makati past 9:00pm and by that time, I was just tired and wanted to go home.

That was last week. The good news is that it's over. I slept off the whole Saturday.

The bad news is that the project really starts on Monday. And I am abandoning my email provider, meaning I'd be using a different email address.

Live moves.

--andoy
11 February 2005

allvoices

No comments: