Friday, December 10, 2004

Buying Books,,, and reading them

I bought "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" two weeks back when I got my thirteenth month pay. I've read the book before although I don't have a copy myself. Anyway, I do have a copy of the four previous books in the "Harry Potter" series, with Kenneth just then having finished reading "...Goblet of Fire" and Darwi, somewhere in the middle of that same book.

When I showed the kids the book, they were so excited to read it. And even Lilia wanted to be the first to read it. Since we were at my in-laws place visiting, I curled up in bed beside the kids and started reading it to them. It isn't often that I read books to them nowadays. Although they do enjoy me trying to mimic English/Scot accents. We got to Chapter 2 before we were called to lunch.

My sentiments about the books have evolved since I started to read them, and understand the story. Mainly because of "Harry Potter", my kids have started reading books. I started reading novels when I was in second year high school, seeing as UPIS had a good library. Kenneth is now in first year high school, and Darwi in grade six, and they are a several magnitudes greater than me with regards the books that they are reading compared with the books I was reading when I was their age. In fact, Darwi may even be a faster reader than Kenneth. Also compared to Kenneth, I do know that she has better comprehension and memory work. I hope to be feeding their reading habits some more. Although for now, I am not sure what books they can read after they are through with "Order of the Phoenix." "Hardy Boys" and "Nancy Drew" are dated. And Agatha Christie, and Arthur Conan Doyle are a little over their heads, I guess (but mainly because of the English used).

I hope to continue reading to them for some time to come.

--andoy.2004.12.10

allvoices

No comments: