Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My Friend, I Ask You Not To Cry In Front Of Me



my friend
I ask you
please not to cry in front of me

why is it, I wonder, that you do that?
unashamedly you cry
in a donut shop while we drink our fourth cup of coffee
in office corridors amid walls decorated with Christmas cheer
in a gotohan, and really crying out loud with tears dripping to a
bowl of arroz caldo
at an EDSA bus stop, in Cubao, while I hug you tight with eyes closed
on a bus going to Laguna while you look out the window trying to
ignore me yet not seeing the scenery
while sitting on the stairs of a mall while I hold your hand
in a grassy field in Laguna where we sat cross-legged in the middle
of the night

you told your tales
how you felt
what you did
who you loved or who you hated
how the land cracked open or how the heavens fell
somebody left or walked away or did not leave

you shouted or whimpered
kicked, punched
bawled, caterwauled
cursed and cussed

in turn I uttered words
empty platitudes besides your concerns
generic words and cliches it seems
"this too will end"
"we will laugh about this years from now"
"such things happen"
"I told you that before"

I too am ashamed that I made you cry
because I listened
and watched while tears wet your cheeks
I offer my handkerchief
once wet, it disappears, never to return
while tears continue from blood-red eyes
accompanied by sniffles

my eyes start to turn wet
yet I could not cry with you
for now you weep
and I can cry later
in silence and alone
where I can shed tears
but not in front of my friend

--andoy, 3 January 2005

allvoices

No comments: