Monday, January 28, 2008

Spaghetti

I cooked spaghetti yesterday.  It was a request by my sister, for the birthday party of Angel, she's seven-year old and she celebrated her second party in two days: Saturday in Antipolo; and yesterday in Marikina.  It was catered, but for the spaghetti.  My sister was supposed to cook chicken, but seeing that we only had a small table and not too many guests, she decided against adding chicken to the buffet table.

I asked her what she has for me to cook, and it turns out that was for a large batch, with two kilos of spaghetti, two kilos of spaghetti sauce and two kilos hot dog.

I asked her to buy oregano and basil.  She said that there was oregano, which I found to be the ground powder type.  And no basil on the cupboard.  I also asked for a can of potted meat or liver spread -- not the small tins, but the double size tin -- as well as a medium carrot; onions -- there were small onions, the pungent strong tasting type, not good for spaghetti for kids -- and a can of mushrooms.  She got back and had the items I requested.  Almost all that is.  She bought dried oregano, whole not chopped.  I coarsely chopped it and may have added more than necessary.  And she bought bay leaf.  Not basil leaf, bay leaf, also called "laurel."  (I think I should buy her a pot of basil herbs.)

Sad to say, I flared up after a particular comment about the pasta.  I didn't add oil after the cooked pasta has been drained.  And my sister gave a comment to that effect.  It's been a running game between us to trade barbs.  It's okay as long as it's all between us siblings.  Unfortunately, this time, one guest, who I never particularly liked, seconded the comment.  No, I didn't like her, and I think that as a guest, she should have shut up seeing that this was a disagreement between siblings ("away bata").  Yes, I immediately apologized to my sister.

So there, the spaghetti was sticky, and the sauce was slightly burned.  It was sweet, no pepper, no chili, no bite, but not too sweet.  And not enough spices.  It was okay, I guess, for kids.  And no, I didn't eat any spaghetti.

--andoy
28 January 2008

allvoices

No comments: