Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Movement and Promotion

I have a job. That said, sometimes I wonder if I need to add anything to that statement.

How about this: I have a job, and I like it, but I don't like my boss. Sounds like a logic statement, which in most cases is true.

The good news is that recently I got "regularized." To understand this concept, for a while now, the Call Center industry in the Philippines is manned by "contractual" employees. Meaning they have a fixed-term contract. The contract itself does not mean that you have to stay. But that you have to stay and accept a certain fixed salary, plus, plus. Now that the growth curve is getting steep, there is a push to rationalized the industry and professionalize the people manning the phones/seats. Hence the concept of regularization. The employees which these companies want to keep (after pursuing HR metrics) are now being asked to sign-up and become regular employees with additional pay and benefits. Simply put, I got several more pesos in the bank every payday.

The better news is that my bosses (I think at least 4 levels of them in various lateral and vertical capacity) think that they don't want to let go of me. There are only 10 of us in the account: the Japanese-speaking TL (translator?) who was once wrongfully tagged as an Indonesian by a caller; the UK line composed of the French-speaking agent (and full-time State University student), the German-speaking agent (who is also a part-time University and Business School Economics professor), and the Spanish-speaking ex-Seminarian; the Korean agent who handles the Asia line; and the US line manned by 4 guys (one of which was called a Pakistani by a caller, which is me) and a girl. The German-speaking agent was given the task of doing the Team's QA. And I was given the task of training new agents. Additional task was that of doing the QA of the German-speaking agent/QA. In addition, I supported the two other guys on the US line to apply for a higher position of Trainor for the other account, which job I think they have the technical knowledge to handle. With that in mind, the bosses decided to find a way to increase my salary. So now my salary is now at par with other (local) Trainors in the facility.

Of course, there was the other reason: that I might jump-ship and move to the other account where the opportunities of advancement are more clearly defined.

The great news is that the bosses already have an idea that I want to move up some day, becoming a Team Leader myself, but not for the current Team. And I have admitted that. I also freely admitted that I want to continue working for the company. Mainly because of the short commute to my residence. Besides that, I have also admitted that I have set my sights not just on the Team Leader position but on the next higher position of Shift Manager. These opportunities of advancement I defined to my boss. I did give the hint that first dibs would be with the company. If I cannot get to advance, then there are other companies within a short walk away. This is not an idle threat but an everyday reality in the business.

So now, I have a job. I have just been promoted. I have been given an increase. And I have defined my advancement plans. Great. And my bosses have given word that they will support me -- in essence to move out of their account.

--andoy

allvoices

No comments: