Monday, June 06, 2005

Books


I read a friend's blog, and she had a listing about books, I thought to myself:  "I can do that.  That would be easy."

Total number of books owned:

I have no idea.  Lots, would be a starting point.  I don't have enough space in one book shelf, the books are arranged three-deep.  And I have about a third maybe, in a big box somewhere which got lost (or maybe these were borrowed and never returned.)

The last book I bought:

Tom Clancy?  Netscape Development?  Mac OS X?  I'm not sure, but it must be one of those.

The last book I read:

Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising", for the nth time.

Five books that mean a lot to me that I really liked:

  1. J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Lord of the Rings."  The books were borrowed and never returned.  I first read them at college, where the library has these big book bound copies.  I kept borrowing and borrowing and rereading them over and over again.  The first time I bought my own books were Irwin publications with the Eye of Mordor design on the cover.
  2. Richard Bach, "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."  One of the few books which was the number 1 bestseller for two consecutive years.  Actually, I don't know of any other book which was the number 1 bestseller for two consecutive years.  A simple story wrapped around a very simple truth.
  3. Khalil Gibran, "The Prophet."  The poetry of Gibran is astounding in its simplicity.  "Your children are not your children, they are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself."
  4. "Ecclesiastes."  From the Bible.  (Have you read it?)
  5. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch."  A narrative of a single day in the life of a gulag prisoner.  It is a solace when you are alone and you think that everything is an insurmountable problem.

Tag 5 people and have them fill this out in their blogs:

  1. Steph
  2. Gladys
  3. Kath
  4. Jojo
  5. Rhodge

-=0=-

--andoy
6 June 2005

allvoices

1 comment:

Stephie Cruz said...

Good morning sunshine! Thanks for the tag. Interesting entry. Yes, I have read the Book of Ecclesiates, it is in fact my favorite. Will attend to the book list after lunch. You know how my Mondays are.

Take Care!

Stephie