Monday, June 06, 2005

First Day of School


Today, Monday, 6 June is the first day of school.  Both my kids are in high school.  Darwi is a freshman and Kenneth is a sophomore.  We've not really discussed the coming school year, but even before it began, there was a small but very pleasant surprise.  Darwi was elevated to the star section.  My wife Lilia was informed of this only Friday.  Normally, the student is assigned a section upon enrollment.  I have no idea why she was transferred to another section just days before start of classes.  I don't know and I don't really care.  I'm just happy she got "promoted."

Kenneth and Darwi started elementary in star sections.  And then the grades caught up with them.  When Kenneth started elementary school, my wife and I decided that she resign from work and devote her time instead to being a stay-at-home housewife to take care of the kids.  It also gave us the chance to keep a close eye on the children's development.  We made sure though, that there was no pressure on them.  We wanted them to enjoy their childhood and school as well.  No pressure, but we also tried to limit their TV viewing, as well as computer use.

Part of school preparations, Kenneth had a haircut.  He let his hair grow during the summer vacation.  It looked like a big shock of hair on top of his skinny frame.  And, as usual, I  also went with him to the barber to have a haircut.  During the summer vacation, they also enrolled in summer classes.  Darwi attended tae-kwon do, and Kenneth studied guitar.  If plans push through, Darwi should be able to continue her tae-kwon do.

Several things I plan to do during the coming school year.  I need to have a computer at home.  And I need to have a DSL-internet connection.  I also want to acquire a digital camera.  Afterwards, I can move forward and teach them rudimentary web page development (HTML programming).  And also their own web page or web log.

We'll see.

--andoy
6 June 2005

allvoices

No comments: