Monday, October 04, 2004

Growing up and becoming a father to a girl

When I was in high school, girls were wearing denim pants. It was
still an age when girls were wearing mini skirts however, the Levi's
was becoming the dress of choice. I can't wait to get to college
where the girls were supposed to be wearing mini-skirts.


When I got to college I enrolled OUTSIDE of Metro Manila (partly
because of a scholarship grant and mainly so I can get away from my
high school classmates). And in U.P. Los Banos, lo and behold, the
girls don't wear mini-skirts. In fact, they don't wear anything sexy.
The sexiest you could get was white t-shirt and denim pants, and
that's the dressiest you could get. At the freshman dance, this was
also the dress code. Where were all the sexy girls?


I did find them, in the course of the next few years. And I had a
grudging respect of the t-shirt and denim clad female after that. But
it did rankle a bit that during the next fifteen years after Los
Banos, the fashion scene was drab and becoming drabber and more
corporate-like.


Almost twenty years later, the women's regular everyday pedestrian
fashion sense comes back to complete the cycle with a vengeance.
The women of today are brazenly sexy, even in white t-shirts and denim
pants. And here I am, frightened of the current fashion because I
have a 12-year old daughter. A year ago, she was skinny with any
curves. Five months after her first period, and she's developing
curves: buttocks, breasts and rounded thighs. (Okay, that may sound
like I'm describing a chicken order at KFC.) And I find myself,
second-guessing my wife on whether the clothes my daughter wears is
acceptable. Although I must admit, she looks like she inherited my
wife's thighs.


Acceptable? To whom? Acceptable to me, of course. That's my
daughter and no kid just off the street or maybe her classmate will
even think about getting close to her without going past me first.
That's my little girl.


Ah! The comment about "the sins of the father"? Karma? All too true, I guess.




--andoy

allvoices

No comments: