Sunday, October 17, 2004

Oktoberfest

In Germany, the Oktoberfest starts mid-September to the first week of
October. However, typically Pinoy, this is "celebrated" during
October. Last year, the first weekend (Friday evening) ot Oktoberfest
was at the Eastwood City and the traffic jam was up to about five
miles in every direction. Ortigas Avenue was jammed, same with Green
Meadows, White Plains, Katipunan Avenue, Boni Serrano, Marcos Highway
and Riverbanks Commercial. The traffic started to build up after
office hours, around 5:00pm and was heavy until the around 4:00 or
5:00 the Saturday morning. The first weekend usually has a larger
crowd.

Lat year, I did not know that the traffic would be that heavy. Since
I work the night shift I usually arrive around 11:45pm at my desk. I
arrived around 12:15 or 12:20. I walked from Ortigas Avenue, to Green
Meadows. At that point, I was feeling some pain on my shin and from
then on jogged to the office. About three kilometers in total. I
really felt out of shape.

This year the first weekend's Oktoberfest was held at the Metrowalk at
Ortigas. Of course, there was still a lot of traffic spilling over to
Libis. The third weekend though was at Eastwood City. Again there
was a traffic jam with vehicles at a crawl in the general direction of
Eastwood, but more manageable than during the first weekend.

This time around I was not late. I was coming from Makati, and
arrived at the office around 10:30pm, after walking from the corner of
Ortigas Avenue and C5. It was a brisk walk with no problems. I felt
the pain several hours afterwards. After puttering around I took an
hour nap (very shallow sleep) on my desk, and woke up at 11:58, just
in time to log in.

I really need to spend some time exercising. I am out of shape.

--andoy

allvoices

No comments: