Sunday, October 03, 2004

On Writing

There have been several people who've noted that they like to read
what I've written. I consider this flattering. And I'll take it as a
compliment.

What boggles me is the next statement, they utter: "I wish I could
write like that," or some other variation. Sometimes it's just: "I
wish I could write." Now that's spooky.

I do not have an ordered mind. It goes from here to there, moving
from one idea to the next. Sometimes connecting disjointed thoughts
together, leaving me plenty of time to make these connections logical
by adding smaller steps in between.

I do not have a logical mind. I need to write my thoughts down in
order for them to make any sense. If I don't do that, the thoughts
stay in the background of my mind, popping up sometime in the near
future when it almost makes sense. Usually with several steps missing
in between (see above).

My writings do not make sense when I think about them, rather the
thoughts only make sense after I put them to paper (or virtual paper,
with regards computer files).

I remember high school when we were tasked to write a research paper.
We were told to write down the researches as scraps of data on index
card. These cards contain outlines, quotes, verbatim copies, draft
sentences or paragraphs, summaries, precis, etc. While researching we
were also tasked to submit the outline of the work in progress.
Several outlines in fact, as well as several drafts of the paper. The
process then boils down to being a jigsaw puzzle, with the aim of
making a complete picture which looks like the outline, or close
enough not to make any difference.

Until now, that's the way I write. I start with a an outline. I have
scraps of statements, isolated phrases, or paragraphs. And when I
write it down, I need to rearrange it somewhat to make some sense.
Okay, that was an understatement. In most cases, it never gets
finished because I could not rearrange it enough to suit me. In some
cases, I just don't bother about rearrange things. Quick and dirty
but it does get done.

Maybe sometime soon, if I stick to writing regularly, it would be an
easier process. In which case, the only remaining questions would be
what to write about and how do I begin. I guess one thing would not
change: the hardest about writing is staring at an empty page.


--andoy

allvoices

No comments: