Thursday, October 07, 2004

Migraines and other work-related health problems

I work in a call-center as a Customer Support Representative. The office is located at the Eastwood City Complex in Quezon City, where a lot of other call-centers are also located. If I may make a guess, there may be as many as 5,000 such agents like myself within that area housed in less than 10 buildings.

I've just been regularized and given a promotion and a pay increase. It's close to my residence so commuting is not a problem. And I can see a career path, either within the company or, at least, within the industry.

However, the issue is health. Working on the night-shift is not healthy. Since I started work on the night-shift during the fourth quarter of last year, I've had elevated blood pressure, almost constant headache, back pains, and more than the usual number bouts of migraine.

Lately, I wake up in the middle of the night, on my days off! Just when you get the opportunity to take extended sleep, your body wakes up!

There are days when I can only say to myself that I have to get a different job. Maybe I will. I'm giving myself another six months in my present position, then apply for the next higher position, and another year after that to apply for the next one up. That would be something to look forward to. If I can only hang on.

--andoy



allvoices

No comments: