Saturday, October 02, 2004

New Glasses for Darwi


We're buying new glasses for Darwi today.  This will be her Nth pair of glasses!

She started to wear glasses when she was 5 or 6 years old.  There were vague hints that she needed glasses.  She had to go near the TV set to see anything on it.  In school, she needed to be in front row of seats because she was not able to copy from the blackboard.

There was an early incident which should have clued us in to her poor eyesight.  I was reading a book to my kids, Kenneth and Darwi, before going to sleep, and part of what I regularly did was ask Kenneth to read the book.  They were prone, looking at the book, with the word in the direction of Kenneth.  Darwi was in the opposite direction, prone and looking at the book upside-down.  While Kenneth was reading, Darwi was "reading" ahead of him.  She had already memorized the book (or page) from prior bed-time story telling.  That evening was fun.

We bought the last pair of glasses December last year.  The first problem occurred early in the school year, late June or early July.  One of the lenses came off.  She tried to repair it by using super glue.  And, of course, using too much super glueas she did not know to use it, much less how to repair the lens.  The only problem was that one of the screws came off and this led to the loose lens holder (is that what you call it?).  For the past several months, the replacement screw I used gets to become loose more often, and whenever the replacement screw comes loose the lens holder gets to be a little more loose, and not holding the lens tight. 

Vicious cycle story revisited.

Now while I was repairing it yet again, now the lens broke.  It was plastic.  And since it broke while I was handling it, it was my fault.  Of course.  In my opinion, better it got broke while I was repairing it than while my daughter was using it.

I like that story.  It's better than the ones about another pair of (red eye-frame) glasses.

--andoy



allvoices

No comments: